Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

My Ghost

     I was born in 1985, a year for the greats. Not only did the world get to be graced with humble ol' me but it was the year for Dairy Queen Blizzards and more importantly Super Mario Brothers.
     Video games were, I say with adult regret, a big part of my childhood. Super Mario Brothers were at the top of my list. Those two Italian plumbers hold a special place in my heart. Many beautiful summer days were wasted with them, but I especially loved Mario Kart.

     I raced any willing able bodied human who would have me but, as they lost interest it was usually myself versus the computer.
     After my interest would fade with the computer I would go to time trials where I could race a ghost.


     A ghost is a replay of my personal best time, a faded version of my chosen driver who went before me.  The ghost version could push me to try just a little harder and do just a little better to beat my previous score and that's exactly what I strived for.
     In my life I am not a competitive person, if I win great, if I don't maybe next time. I didn't have any skill for athletics or excel in academics. Mostly I was a participant award type of kid. I was content with this. It's good in the sense that I am not a sore loser but it's bad in the sense that I settle for mediocrity.
     For the most part I have taken life as it comes. It is what it is. When it comes to my true nature, I don't strive for more than where I am at. But with my ghost in Mario Kart, I could try just a little bit harder to do better than the time before.


     It's a good feeling; thankfully I have a ghost when it comes to real life as well. Someone who helps me to try just a little bit harder, to give just a little more effort to reach more of my potential.
     My family has helped shape in mold me into the person I am today, but in recent years another lead character in the story of Amber would be Coburn.
     The quote goes, "You are known by the company you keep." I'm happy to say with Coburn I think I am doing very well.


     Coburn is my best friend, a fellow nerd and book enthusiast, but also my partner in crime. He is quite a few years younger than me but I can honestly say he is beyond his years and I admire and look up to him.
     Any task that is set before him, he comes at with enthusiasm and joy, making it look effortless. Unlike a healthy portion of people his age he has a good head on his shoulders and knows how to make good choices, he knows what he wants out of life and he will do all he can to reach the best version of that.
     I have known him for fifteen years and we've been closer for probably the last five, and we can be similar when it comes to most things, but unlike me, Coburn is competitive.
    He loves to compete and tries his hardest. If ever we are in a position where there is time to kill, he will find something to entertain himself like making a house of cards and will not stop until he is satisfied with the results.

     This is what makes him my ghost. He has pushed me, sometimes almost literally, to try a little harder. Always encouraging me to not stay the same but strive for better.
     I am an introvert through and through; I freak out when it comes time for me to be put in the spot light. I would much rather hold it for someone else.
     A few years ago, Coburn and I became co-youth leaders for our church with this came some responsibilities. We would both teach the youth class, (ok I have been teaching the younger kids for years), we would be responsible for the youth at events, (expected, but a little more of a challenge. I have walked away and found some of them on the roof before they are hard to contain), finally we would BOTH have to speak at youth services. (Umm what?!)
     I assumed Coburn would speak, he gets a hold of a microphone and words flow like soft serve ice cream from the machine. It's amazing. I, on the other hand forget how to human.
     So every time it comes time for me to speak I can always count on Coburn to calm me down like a member of the jumper squad talking someone off a ledge.
     It's not that I don't want to do it; it's that I feel like I will mess it up somehow and without fail he is always there for me. My right hand man.


     He is the reason that this blog exists. He convinced me to start it, and even if it doesn't go anywhere I am tremendously happy for an outlet. As he's reading over this, I know he's checking for mistakes to help me as he always does.
     He is also (shameless plug alert) the reason PeculiarPeople46350 our YouTube channel (search us) exists. For years I have made skits for church (subscribe) Coburn suggested we make a channel and so I write the videos and he edit's them. (Seriously Subscribe!)
     I am afraid to put myself out there and any form but I am so thankful for a friend who sees more than what I am comfortable with.
     So this week I just wanted to give a shout out to my best friend, my ghost. Thanks for making me a better version of myself. You matter to me!
LOVE!
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment