Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

It's Only a Year, Right?

     Most New Year’s resolutions are broken by the end of January, according to a Google search that I didn't bother to click on and research.
     This year Paula and I decided to set some resolutions. More specifically me, Paula joined the insanity with time.

     At first it was no soda for the year. Then I started to feel guilty. I would hardly drink pop (I'm from Indiana we say that here) my parents had it at their house and I would drink one or when we went out to eat. It just wasn't difficult to give it up for me.
     Then we said no sweets until my birthday. Not sugar, I am too lazy and poor to get things like sugar free ketchup and take it out of my meals, just no sweets. Now this is a high mountain to climb. For me to go three days without chocolate was a challenge. I love chocolate.

     Paula once got blizzards for us from Dairy Queen and she ordered me a chocolate extreme. I asked for it to be made with chocolate ice cream. The kid making it was amazed, as Paula waited in the drive thru he muttered under his breath, "That's way too much chocolate." But it wasn't, judgmental ice cream maker, it was perfect.

     So I agree to this challenge and my birthday was at the end of February so it was within reach. Then my ghost, Coburn said, "Why not go the whole year?"
     I thought about it; Why not go the whole year? Coburn is good for that? More on that in my previous blog post. So with the exception of my birthday and Paula's because she joined in we are going... all year with....with...no sweets. No brownies, cookies, ice cream, pie, all things that make life on Earth so great.

     So I took a small step with pop, then a giant leap with the sweets, and then just jumped off the cliff with no coffee.
     No coercing from anyone, no one even suggested it. I just had a moment of insanity and have stuck it out.
    
     I miss coffee. I crave coffee. I don't know why it's bothering me so much, on average, I would have one to two cups a week but take it away from me and I am a nicotine addict looking for a fix.
     I will walk past someone drinking it and just close my eyes and let the peace wash over me as that beautiful aroma fills my nostrils. My mouth will begin to water as I imagine taking that warm cup to my lips and slowly sipping that delicious heavenly nectar. I can hardly go on Instagram as all the teenage girls flood my feed with their drink of choice. (Is there a discount given if you take pictures of your coffee?)

    I have seen changes in my life, since starting these goals. I don't miss pop, and have no desire of having any more after this year. The thought of drinking it makes me a little nauseated. I will have sweets but I don't see myself having it as often as I did before. Coffee, I think I may have a cup waiting for me on New Year's Eve.
    I have reoccurring dreams too, they are all different but all end the same. I will end up where there is a cinnamon roll and without even considering it, I'll eat it and realize I wasn't supposed to and feel so guilty only to wake up and find it wasn't true.

    It hasn't been easy, mostly explaining the difference between no sweets and no sugar. I do not want your sugar free sweets thank you.

    I don't expect these changes to help me drop off a ton of weight, but I do hope they will lead me in making real changes in my life. At the end of year, I hope to say I met my goal and that makes me feel good. I constantly want to better myself, and having goals, and meeting them is a perfect way to do so.
So I have 267 days left before I can drink a cup of coffee with a donut or something , but I look at it this way I will always have pizza!
-Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment